WCRB (was re: WKLB Frequency Change?)

Rob Landry 011010001@interpring.com
Wed Jul 11 10:01:49 EDT 2018

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018, A Joseph Ross wrote:

> Well, it did make the format less irritating.  And I think they tended
> to use more shorter works, rather than single movements of longer works.

The challenge is to maximize average time spent listening. Traditionally,
classical stations have low average TSL, even if the average length of
classical recordings is longer -- about 12 minutes, unless I misremember
-- than songs in any other format.

In drive time, where listeners need frequent news, weather, and traffic
updates, the problem becomes acute. Playing movements is the answer;
listeners want to hear their favorites, not some obscure piece of music by
someone no one's heard of. Yet many of these favorites are too long for
drive time if played full-length.

Outside drive time, the clocks called for the first piece in each hour to
be a full length piece, anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes long. The rest of
the hour would be filled by shorter pieces, some of them movements. There
were also "classic clusters" of two or three very short pieces (e.g.
"Flight of the bumblebee") combined and scheduled as one element. The
scheduling algorithm had to be flexible because we tried as much as
possible to avoid scheduling for length; we wanted to play the best loved
and most attractive of the available pieces of music for each slot,
regardless of length. That meant a commercial break scheduled for 24
minutes after the hour might run at :17 past or :32 past.

But it worked, and we did achieve a 4.5 share. That was in the old
five-county Boston metro, though, before they added part of Worcester
County and southern New Hampshire. The best we ever did in the expanded
metro was in the mid threes.

Nassau's WCRB at 99.5 still had a 3 share, despite Mario's departure, the
change from diary sampling to PPM, and the move from the Newton
transmitter site to the Andover one. When WGBH took over the ratings sank
like a stone.

Mario's format lives on; see http://classical959.com if you like
commercials, or http://classicalwscs.org if you don't.

Rob