WKLB Frequency Change?

Kevin Vahey kvahey@gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 06:26:52 EDT 2018

Common misconception

WBZ had more listeners but many were outside the area used in ratings at
the time.

WEZE was in a good spot circa 1965 as 'The Wonderful World of Music' was
consistent and their major competitor was WHDH that tried to juggle music,
news and sports. NBC even dropped WEZE in favor of WCOP to get Monitor
cleared in Boston.

WBZ and WMEX fought for the younger audience with 1030 doing well in the
burbs and 1510 well in the city and the North Shore.

WEEI and WNAC fought over news and talk.

2 years later WRKO changed everything and it was WBZ that blinked dropping
Top 40 for more MOR and going after WHDH. But WJIB 96.9 became an instant
success and took most of WEZE's audience. A big part of WJIB's rise
were the huge number of free ads in the Globe who was part owner of the
station.

Donna - Have you ever looked into Kaiser/Globe's odd decision to have 3
separate offices and studios for TV, FM and AM?

​