WMEX lives

Eli Polonsky elipolo881@gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 04:09:13 EDT 2018

On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 11:17 PM, A Joseph Ross <joe@attorneyross.com> wrote:

> I guess Ed Perry was smart enough not to want that Waltham facility.  Does
> he intend to continue simulcasting WATD or does he have some other plan for
> the station?  Or don't we know?

​The plan I've seen posted by some people involved, beginning in
mid-September with the upgrade to 10,000 watts daytime (and the signing on
of an FM translator on 101.1 based in Weymouth), is to simulcast the WATD
South Shore Morning News magazine show during weekday morning drive until 9
AM, then break away for a 1960s/1970s Pop/Rock'n'Roll ​Oldies format,
paying some homage to the Top 40 heyday of the original WMEX (probably with
some unearthed vintage jingles and retro sounding production, etc...) and
also evolving the format with a bit of later music that fits from the '80s
and beyond sprinkled in.

As Ed does with WATD, this music format will be frequently cut in to with
local news updates and community service elements. Longtime New England DJ
on various stations (plus host of his own syndicated oldies show run Sunday
nights on WATD) Jimmy Jay, who hosted a Saturday evening oldies show on the
last incarnation of WMEX, claims to be scheduled for the 9 AM - 1 PM
weekday slot.

Though I don't have any further information, I'd speculate on some evening
public affairs programming more specific to the South Shore (like WATD)
with the nighttime signal downgrade and the FM translator that will be
mainly a South Shore signal, and perhaps some "deeper" oldies specialty
shows on weekends similar to WATD.

Ed is also reportedly planning some separate programming later this year
for a revived 1460 AM in Brockton called WATD (AM), and has an FM
translator applied for that as well, also on 101.1. His two FM translators
will be directionally nulled toward each other to minimize mutual
interference.

EP