WBZ radio leaving Soldiers Field Road

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Sat Aug 25 13:36:43 EDT 2018

> Was WBZ always at 1170 Soldiers Field Road? Their transmitter site was
> originally in Springfield, and for a while in Millis.

WBZ began its life on Page Blvd in Springfield in September 1921, but
endless signal problems (and problems getting big-name talent to come to
Springfield) made it necessary to open a Boston studio.  The first one
was at the old Brunswick Hotel (near Park Square) in late February 1924.
Then in 1927, the studios moved to the Hotel Statler. And in 1931, they
settled in at the Hotel Bradford (today a Marriott, I believe) on
Tremont Street. When they decided to put a TV station on the air, the
operation (both radio and the new TV station) got moved out to a new
location-- that's how they ended up on Soldiers Field Road in June 1948.

--
Donna L. Halper, PhD
Associate Professor of Communication & Media Studies