Entercom announces what it plans to keep

adamnw@aol.com adamnw@aol.com
Sat Oct 14 18:37:25 EDT 2017

Is it possible that the Patriots/Krafts would buy BZ FM and / or BZ AM?

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Fybush <scott@fybush.com>
To: boston-radio-interest <boston-radio-interest@lists.BostonRadio.org>
Sent: Sat, Oct 14, 2017 4:29 pm
Subject: Re: Entercom announces what it plans to keep

I think we're a little off course here. WBZ-TV is not changing its
calls, period. Nor are WCBS-TV, KYW-TV, WJZ-TV, KDKA-TV, WBBM-TV or
KCBS-TV. CBS is keeping those heritage calls on its TV stations. They
have no reason to change them, and they know as well as we do that
there's some value to those brands that should stay with the TVs.

The issue is whether it will share those calls with the CBS Radio
stations when they're sold. We know that the contract between CBS and
Entercom provides that Entercom itself gets a perpetual license to
continue using those base calls on its radio stations - so there will be
no call changes at WCBS(AM), WCBS-FM, KYW(AM), KDKA(AM), KDKA-FM,
WBBM(AM), WBBM-FM, KCBS(AM) or KCBS-FM. (My recollection is that WJZ was
excluded for some reason, probably because there's no news-talk format
using those calls, just two sports stations that could change calls
without anyone noticing.)

Which leaves us with WBZ(AM) and WBZ-FM. If they're transferred to
another radio broadcaster, the perpetual license to use the calls
continues. If they are transferred to anyone else, that's where CBS then
has to give permission. Which is basically to say, this is all only an
issue if it's Cox and WFXT buying. And we simply don't know if that's
the case yet.