Entercom announces what it plans to keep

Doug Drown ashboy1951@gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 20:31:55 EDT 2017

It occurred to me that WBZ and WBZ-TV may well be the last two remaining
commercial broadcasting stations in New England still under their original
ownership.  I may be wrong on this (Donna, can you help us out?), but I
believe the only other three, until recently, were WABI-TV in Bangor and
WCAX-TV in Burlington, which were both sold earlier this year to Gray
Television, and WDEV in Waterbury, Vt, owned  by the Squier family since
1931 and sold this year to former sales manager Steve Cormier.  WABI had
been owned by Diversified Communications (the Horace Hildreth family) since
1953, and  WCAX by Mount Mansfield Television (the Hasbrook family) since
'54.

Talk about the end of an era!  It's particularly painful in that WBZ's
hundredth birthday is only four years away.  Sorry to be so blunt --- and I
know CBS has what it feels are good reasons to divest them --- but in my
not-so-humble opinion, I think that selling these heritage O&Os ('BZ, KDKA,
WCBS, etc.) is crazy.