Ion Media "Pulling an NBC"?

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Thu May 25 23:35:55 EDT 2017

CBS is separating the news and talk stations from CBS Corp. as part of the
overall spinoff of CBS Radio.

I assume the logic is that the news stations have more value to a buyer as
part of the overall radio package than they'd have in continued synergy
with the local TV stations if CBS were to keep just that handful of big
AMs.

That actually does seem logically sound to me.  The radio stations have
never been that tightly bound to their TV "sisters," whether it was the
Group W operations like WBZ and KYW or the CBS ones like WCBS and WBBM.

WBZ and KYW are the only all-newsers physically tied to their TVs these
days.  (KCBS is in adjoining but separate space in SF), so there would
actually be considerable expense in relocating the others - KNX, WCCO,
WBBM, WCBS, KDKA - to separate them from their FM sisters and retain them
within CBS.

On May 25, 2017 11:12 PM, "Don" <astelle.donald@gmail.com> wrote:

>> the pending CBS-Entercom "merger" in which CBS plans to
>> dump  all the AM O&Os in major cities

Who said this is the plan?