Fairbanks WKLB/WCLB & WCRB

Rob Landry 011010001@interpring.com
Tue Jan 17 13:41:02 EST 2017

They (we) got a lot of complaints, but they mostly came from professional
musicians and the like. Greater Boston has a *lot* of professional and
semi-professional musicians, but they are an infinitessimal portion of the
audience. After the initial wave of complaints, Mario altered the format
to allow more pieces to play in their entirety, but he never stopped
playing single movements. The rationale was that as in any other format,
we had to play the hits, and they had to be playable in morning and
afternoon drive.

The most extreme case was Beethoven's ninth symphony. To play that in its
entirety takes more than an hour, and that's a lot of commercial avails to
give up.

In the end, the more complaints we got, the the more the Globe and Herald
took pot shots at us, and the higher our ratings went. In radio, there's
almost no such thing as bad publicity.

Rob