[B-R-I] Re: December 3 TV rescan

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Tue Dec 5 10:10:04 EST 2017

The resources are out there!

Here's the FCC flowchart page:

https://www.fcc.gov/about-fcc/fcc-initiatives/incentive-auctions/transition-schedule

We won't see the first phase of channel changes from the repack itself
until Sept. 2018, with the phases then proceeding at intervals of
several months through at least 2021 (and maybe longer).

Here's the list of stations that sold their spectrum in the auction and
are entering channel shares:

https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-17-314A2.pdf

This document doesn't show who's actually moving where, because those
filings are still gurgling their way through the FCC. Rabbitears.info is
the site of choice for keeping track of all that, in several forms that
are all linked here:

http://www.rabbitears.info/static.php?name=repack_tools

There are some other twists and turns to the transition that are hard to
fully document - for instance, T-Mobile has been paying stations on
upper UHF channels (especially 50 and 51) to move off that spectrum
ahead of the FCC's schedule, when channels are already available for
them to repack. The FCC allows this, where it's technically feasible.

And of course you have to be careful with what you're tracking -
Univision and Entravision just very quietly swapped calls and network
affiliations on their stations in Boston and three other markets, so
"WUNI" and the Univision affiliation are now on the Marlborough-licensed
"channel 66" that used to be WUTF/WHUB-TV/WHSH/WVJV, while "WUTF" and
the UniMas affiliation are now on the Worcester-licensed "channel 27"
that used to be WUNI/WHLL/WSMW. And both stations will be repacked to
new RF channels in the next few years, with applications to move in to
the Newton/Needham tower farm. When it gets hard for ME to keep track,
you know it's confusing!