WJIB at 101.3

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Thu Aug 17 15:39:51 EDT 2017

Makes sense to me.  I assume that's why Bob went for the translator.  If
the signal is clean for most of its coverage area, it may give Bob a lot
more listeners.  And the sound really is a lot better than the AM
signal, even where the AM signal is strong, as it generally is in
Brookline.  Comparing the two, as I have done in my car, it's easy to
see why music programming has largely left the AM band.

Today driving from Brookline into Newton Centre, the WJIB translator
signal was clean, loud, and clear until past Cleveland Circle. Right
about the lights at Boston College, I started to hear some noises, and
shortly after began to hear WMRC's translator cutting in and out, mostly
very briefly, until I got to my office parking lot. There, WMRC came in
stronger and overwhelmed WJIB a few times.

Many FM stations use compression, which seems to boost the base beat and
gives an artificial sound to the music.  I notice that Bob isn't using
compression, or if he is, it's at fairly low-level.  That makes the
music sound even better.

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D. | 1340 Centre Street, Suite 103 |Newton, MA 02459-2004
617.367.0468| Fx: 617.507.7856 | http://www.attorneyross.com