NBC Boston info

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Sun Nov 6 16:08:16 EST 2016

On 11/6/2016 2:21 PM, Jeff Lehmann wrote:
> Sorry, my phone sent this before I was finished.
>
> WBTS is and has been for a few weeks on the air as a 100% simulcast
> of WNEU. The calls show up as WNEU, and the virtual channels are
> 60.1, 60.2, and 60.3.

And this is as good an opportunity as any to explain what I think will
actually happen later this week:

In the new world of digital TV, all the NBC engineers have to do is to
reprogram the encoder that feeds WBTS. Instead of sending it the exact
same data stream that's going to WNEU (as appears now to be the case),
they'll reprogram the stream to have the NBC Boston preview channel
appear on "8.1" (and, I strongly suspect, to have the Telemundo feed
show up as 60.4 or somesuch.)

You won't see any on-air testing; they'll just reprogram the encoder at
some point, and anyone who rescans after that (and who can get the WBTS
signal) will suddenly see "8.1" appear on their TV where it wasn't there
before.