NBC Boston info

Mark Laurence marklaurence@mac.com
Sat Nov 5 23:23:46 EDT 2016

On Nov 5, 2016, at 10:21 PM, Kevin Vahey <kvahey@gmail.com> wrote:

> The harsh reality is NBC will become a cable station as of Jan 1. They have
> written off the south shore completely for OTA and Metrowest looks spotty
> at best.

This is only partially the fault of NBC's pathetic OTA signal plan. There should be dozens of additional stations made available to cover suburban areas which have no TV reception since digital TV became the law. I don't think anyone on the Cape can receive TV without cable, and I know for sure that there's nothing on OTA TV west of Worcester.

Cord-cutters are not being forced to buy network stations from cable or satellite though. You can watch live local newscasts from channels 5, 7, and 25 now, streaming on a Roku box, and most of the network shows on Hulu the next day. From a purely logistical standpoint, it seems like a waste to distribute this content through broadband internet instead of OTA broadcasting.