CBS Looking To Sell Off Their Radio Stations

Rob Landry 011010001@interpring.com
Wed Mar 30 06:47:09 EDT 2016

On Tue, 29 Mar 2016, Donna Halper wrote:

> On 3/29/2016 5:11 PM, Ron Bello wrote:
>> Was mother ship to W*B*CN in Boston and W*H*CN in Hartford when they both
>> were classical music stations until 1967

> The WBCN call letters are much older-- they go back originally to Chicago in
> 1924, where the station was owned by a local newspaper.  The call letters
> back then stood for "World's Best Community Newspaper."  When the newspaper
> folded and the calls were available, they ended up in Boston  on the FM band
> circa 1957.

Mitchell Hastings's Concert Network included also WXCN in Providence and
the station that is now WHOM on Mount Washington, which was used as an
intercity relay for the Boston, Providence, Hartford, and New York
stations. I believe it was WMTW at the time.

If memory serves, WXCN was eventually sold to WCRB's Ted Jones, who
changed the call sign to WCRQ.

Rob