60's Saturday Night On WRKO

Kevin Vahey kvahey@gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 04:49:46 EST 2016

Donna, I would be curious on your imput

When you talk about oldies there became a 'Line of Demarcation'
​ with Sgt Pepper being the boundary.

​You also have to factor the split between Top 40 AM and the rock music
being played on FM post 1967.

30 years ago 'Music of Your Life' became a popular format playing songs
from the 40's, 50's and 60's on what was then called MOR (Middle of the
Road)

 Guess what - now the boomers are entering that demographic.

​Post Sgt Pepper - which also coincided with the birth of FM stations - we
saw MOR morph into a soft Top 40 and AM stations like WHDH and WNBC had a
rebirth​.

What is missing on radio today is the Top 40 on the early and mid 60's and
the soft Top 40's of the 70's. The megahits are still being heard from both
eras but how about the songs that lingered in the Top 20's for a few weeks
and vanished. There are hundreds of songs that haven't seen airtime in
decades but would strike memory cords if played again.

Here is one example - this song was never a megahit but was in rotation for
a few weeks and then went away but play it today to a boomer they will
remember it and say 'I haven't heard that in years'.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8uhxf_brian-hyland-the-joker-went-wild_music

Thought?