60.5

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Tue Dec 20 11:51:28 EST 2016

This is actually legit, and the rules provide for it. One of the rules
allows a station to use its major channel number over other subchannels
that it controls - and so the WMFP transmitter can (and does) carry both
62.x and, in this case, 60.5.

The onus is on the broadcaster to avoid conflicts of both major and
minor channel number, and that's why Comcast is taking care to use 60.5
here. If you can get both WNEU and WMFP, you'll get 60.1/2/3/4 coming
from the WNEU transmitter and 60.5 from the WMFP transmitter. If you get
only WMFP, you'll get 60.5 but not the other 60.x channels, and if you
get only WNEU, you'll get 60.1/2/3/4 but not .5.

Fox uses this a LOT at its local stations and has done so for years - so
in New York, WNYW is seen on both 5.1 over its own transmitter (RF 44)
and on 5.2 over the transmitter of sister WWOR (RF 38), and vice versa
for WWOR's 9.1 and 9.2. This mattered right after 9/11 when WNYW had a
more robust auxiliary setup than WWOR; it also matters in places like
Minneapolis, where one Fox-owned station is on VHF and the other on UHF.

Some public broadcasters do this as well - the equivalent would be if
WGBH used 2.3, 2.4 and 2.5 for the streams it carries over WGBX.

It's surprisingly transparent to the end user.