Did I miss a thread on Mr. Bittner?

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Sat Aug 27 19:04:45 EDT 2016

<<On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 14:58:11 -0400, Eli Polonsky <elipolo881@gmail.com> said:

> The Boston area DOES now have a legitimate full-time urban station
> WZBR 1410 AM, but with mainly R&B programming (like the former
> WILD), it won't make a dent in the pirates because it doesn't cover
> all the other ethnic genres they cover, and also because it's on AM,

For what it's worth, Langer does have two construction permits for
translators, but neither will go to WZBR: there's a 102.1 in
Framingham -- apparently on the air now as W271CU, I haven't checked
-- for WSRO, and a 101.5 in West Yarmouth for WBAS.

The footprint for the WSRO translator is shown here:
<https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_Attachment/getattachment.jsp?appn=101725033&qnum=5090&copynum=1&exhcnum=1>
For WBAS:
<https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_Attachment/getattachment.jsp?appn=101725031&qnum=5090&copynum=1&exhcnum=1>

Other translators permitted during the "AM revitalization" window
(such a misnomer) include:

* a 101.1 in Brockton for Ed Perry's WATD (1460, the old WBET)
* a 106.1 in Fitchburg for WFGL (960)
* a 94.9 in Ashland for WAMG (890), to be licensed Framingham
* a 95.1 (or 98.9?) in Andover (on the 99.5 tower) for WLLH (1400), to
  be licensed Lowell (they wrote channel 236 on the form, but their
  engineering exhibit talks about co-channel spacing to WORC-FM, which
  is on channel 255)
* a 101.5 in Paxton for WVNE (760), to be licensed Leicester

In addition, since we're talking about this sort of stuff (and the
search was easy to do), the following LPFM actions have taken place
this year:

* WBCA-LP (102.9 Boston, owned by the city) received a license to
  cover its original construction permit
* WGUA-LP (98.1 Lawrence, owned by a church) received its license to
  cover
* WLAS-LP (102.9 Auburndale, owned by Lasell College) received its
  license to cover
* WHAV-LP (97.9 Haverhill, owned by the charity Tim Coco is affiliated
  with) was granted a minor modification as part of its process of
  getting on the air
* WBNU-LP (96.5 Framingham, owned by a church and as yet unbuilt) was
  granted a minor modification to move to 102.9, which allows a power
  increase for Steve Silberberg's WXRV translator on 96.5 in Needham
  and reduces theoretical received interference by the LPFM
* WUTY-LP (102.9 Worcester, owned by an outfit called Pride
  Productions of which Dan Kelleher is a director) was granted a minor
  modification to specify new antenna parameters; it's to be located
  on Asnebumskit Hill in Paxton with a DA that beams ESE over
  Worcester
* WJOP-LP (96.3 Newburyport, owned by Newport Community Media Center)
  received its license to cover
* WXBJ-LP (94.1 Salisbury, owned by Good Neighbor Station) received
  its license to cover

I've ignored Western Mass. and the Cape in this list.  It's been a
busy year so far for the Media Bureau.

-GAWollman