Did I miss a thread on Mr. Bittner?

Sean Smyth ssmyth@alumni.psu.edu
Fri Aug 26 18:08:03 EDT 2016

On Friday, August 26, 2016, Kevin Vahey <kvahey@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here is the reality
>
> When Menino decided he would retire, Touch 106.1 went all in to
> support John Connolly over Marty Walsh and it backfired.
>
> The FCC Boston office is handcuffed because it is up to the US
> Attorney for the district to let the US Marshals loose and impound the
> transmitter. That is when it all comes political.
>
> The Boston market doesn't have a mainstream urban station of FM. I
> thought iHeart would go that route when they bought WFNX but that did
> not happen.The pirate on 101.3 apparently has an aggressive sales
> staff  that pays the bills.
>
> Radio One took the money and ran a decade ago when they sold 97.7 to
> Entercom.
>
> i don't know what the solution is.

I'm not defending the manner in which the pirates operate, but these
stations do offer a public service (albeit in an illegal manner). I wonder
how this all would be different had WILD found a 24/7 home years ago.

I'm not sure how feasible it is for any of these stations to go online
only. Low income and broadband use traditionally have had an inverse
relationship. Streaming on phones may not be an option, either, since some
neighborhoods in the city have cell dead spots -- even relatively affluent,
trendy ones.

--
Sent from my iPhone