Rush and talk to WKOX 1430?

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Mon Jun 15 22:30:17 EDT 2015

On 6/15/2015 5:36 PM, raccoonradio@gmail.com wrote:

> Agreed; he will still be a player but in some places he'll be on
> weaker stations. Many willlisten online,too.

I'm assuming you have a macro programmed to keep repeating that, Bob? ;)

To get back to Bill's question from earlier - there is no doubt
whatsoever that when Premiere comes to the table with Rush at renewal
time next year, their math will dictate a much, much lower amount that
they can pay Rush and still make money. It's hard to see how they can
possibly be making money on their current contract given how much
they're paying (reportedly $38 million a year) and what's happened to
revenue. They've lost whatever cash payments were coming in from Cumulus
in NY and SF, Entercom in Boston, Emmis in Indianapolis and surely
others once they can get out of their existing contracts. Yes, there's
online revenue coming in, but who's getting rich from online revenue in
2015?

If you're Rush Limbaugh in 2016, what do you do? You're 68 years old,
your health isn't great, and because you're Rush, you have an ego that
is a big part of who you are and what you do. Can that ego stand the
public pressure of a sea of reports about how your salary's been chopped
from 38 million a year to...5 million, maybe?

And if you've been banking 38 million a year for all these years, do you
NEED to keep working after that kind of a pay cut? What's left to prove,
when you can declare victory and go sit on a beach in Costa Rica for the
rest of your life instead of watching your affiliate base keep going
from KFI and WRKO to the 1150s and 1430s of the world?

This is all about the money for ALMOST everyone involved - affiliates
now, Premiere/iHeart next year. For Rush himself (and ONLY for Rush
himself), it's also about ego and pride, and who knows what direction
that will lead him in?