Kevin Vahey kvahey@gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 00:29:13 EDT 2015

Simple - WPTR was beaming 50K due east from Colonie, NY. At night you
had trouble hearing them in Schenectady.

Same applied to WKBW, CKLW and WCFL to name 3.

WBZ has always been iffy around Springfield which explains why
Westinghouse kept WBZA on as long as the could but turned the license
back to the FCC in 1962 to allow them to buy WINS New York

 http://americanradiohistory.com/Archive-BC/BC-1962/1962-08-06-BC.pdf
   scroll to page 48