WKOX

Rob Landry 011010001@interpring.com
Mon Jul 6 09:37:25 EDT 2015

On Mon, 29 Jun 2015, Bob DeMattia wrote:

> I wasn't in a position to listen, but often the "top of the hour" ID isn't
> the legal ID.

I have one client who consistently runs their legal ID's ten minutes or so
before the hour.

Another client of mine was recently taken to task by Bob Shotwell, the
fellow who does the Alternative Broadcast Inspection Program for
Massachusetts, for doing this, and was required to show that going forward
the ID's would be as close as possible to the top of the hour.

> I know at least at one point that WKLB-FM was burying it's legal ID
> "WKLB-FM Waltham Boston"  a few minutes before the hour, then
> using a prominent jingle on the hour announcing "Country 102.5 WKLB
> Boston".

I can't see how that is legal. "WKLB Boston" at the top of the hour will
be taken by casual listeners, and, I suspect, by anyone from the FCC who
may be listening, as a legal ID; since the city of license is incorrect,
it's a violation, surely?

For that matter, WBZ(AM) calling itself "WBZ in HD" at the top of the hour
doesn't sound correct to me, as that's not one of the three things allowed
between one's call letters and one's city of license. "HD" is probably
meant to satisfy the requirement that stations using digital modulation
identify themselves as such, although it doesn't actually do that, since
it could stand for House of David for all the listeners know. It's not
even a proper use of Ibiquity's trademark, which is "HD Radio".

Rob