Bob Wilson, Bruins broadcaster, passes at 85

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 10:48:26 EST 2015

Joe Fitzgerald's column in today's Herald mentions the passing of Bob
Wilson, longtime radio voice of the Boston Bruins. He died Thursday after
suffering from lung cancer, at age 85. Fitzgerald said he was born Robert
Castellon but, as a WCOP DJ, needed to change his on-air last name to
something with two syllables (for station jingles). He chose Wilson, his
mother's maiden name.
"A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. next Saturday at the Community
Church in Gilford, N.H."

Tweets: Jack Edwards: "We are saddened by news of the death of legendary
Bruins radio play-by-play man Bob Wilson. He was my greatest
inspiration."....

Dale Arnold: "I am just learning of the passing of Bob Wilson, one of the
iconic sports voices of our time and a kind and classy gentleman. My hero."

John Tomase: "Talk about a Golden Age of broadcasting. Bruins fans over 35
can recall a time when their options were Bob Wilson or Fred Cusick. RIP,
Bob."...

Mark from Boston Radio Watch: "Bob Wilson started Bruins pXp in1971. He
started 1994-1995 season but retired during lockout. Dale Arnold filled in
after lockout ended."