Tower Question

A Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Tue Nov 11 01:19:06 EST 2014

Interesting detail.  I have a couple of quibbles.

1. You mention WNAC-TV and WNAC-FM arriving in the early 1960s.  As I've
mentioned before, I believe that 98.5 was WRKO-FM by that time, though
only FM listeners knew that.  I have a very distinct memory of getting
my first FM radio in December 1958 and hearing an automated WRKO-FM ID
played over the simulcast of WNAC AM programs. I know that nobody has
been able to verify this for the Boston Radio Archives, but I know what
I heard.  I was in 8th grade at the time, getting an FM radio was an
exciting day, and I even know the exact date, 5 December.  Because I
marked it on the calendar and observed the anniversary for several years.

2. You mention the Kaiser-GLobe "consortium" (I'd call it a partnership
or joint venture) putting channel 56 back on as WKBG in 1966.  I know
the Archives also gives that date, but how certain are we of that date?
I'm not as certain of this as I am of #1, but I think this is too
early.  I seem to remember all three of the Harvey Labs stations being
sold at once to Kaiser-Globe, taken off the air, and then brought back
in their new identities.  But I also remember hearing WXHR classical
programming on 740 AM, which became WXHR (AM), on my car radio while I
was in law school, which I started in fall 1967.  I could be wrong on
this one, but I think it was later than 1966.

On 11/10/2014 11:07 AM, Scott Fybush wrote:
> I've profiled most of those towers fairly recently, in particular the
> candelabra:
>
> http://www.fybush.com/site-20141017/
>
> (There are links in the first graf of that piece to the three others.)

> -----
> No virus found in this message.

A. Joseph Ross, J.D.| 92 State Street| Suite 700 | Boston, MA 02109-2004
617.367.0468|Fx:617.507.7856| http://www.attorneyross.com