censored song lyrics (was top 40 in 1957)

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Sat May 31 12:39:24 EDT 2014

On 5/31/2014 10:32 AM, Brian T. Vita wrote:
> Let's not forget WBZ-FM with Paul Simon's "Kodachrome".  The line was "when I think back of all the crap I learned in high school".  It was abridged to "when I think back of all...I learned in high school".  Ah, the power of the razor blade.

And don't forget "Lola" by the Kinks; it originally said "where you
drink champagne and it tastes just like Coca Cola," but some stations
thought that was an advertisement, as did the BBC, and the Kinks changed
the lyrics to "cherry cola."  Also changed was the novelty song "My
boomerang won't come back" by Charlie Drake-- it originally said
"practiced till I was black in the face" but that sounded racist to some
folks, so he changed the line to "blue in the face."