Fwd: Re: top-40 in 1957

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@gmail.com
Sat May 31 08:01:01 EDT 2014

There have been songs that got 'cleaned up' a bit-- WBUR used to run a show
called Kids America and they'd play Steve Martin's hit "King Tut". Instead
of the line saying "He's my favorite honky" they re-ran "Did you do the
monkey?" Meaning, as in do a dance by that name, we'd hope. While the album
version of Charlie Daniels' "Devil Went Down to Georgia" contains "son of a
bitch", the single and radio version says "son of a gun".

The 80s song Never Say Never by Romeo Void had a line with the F word:
"That man could give a F about the grin..." It was replaced on a radio edit
by a drumbeat. Rap and rock songs had 'clean' versions where swears were
bleeped out or the swear was "reverse masked". And of course Van Morrison's
"Brown Eyed Girl" had a line about "makin' love in the green grass" which
was substituted with "laughin' and a runnin'" again, and when the Stones
did "Let's Spend the Night Together" on Sullivan show, they were supposed
to sing "Let's Spend Some Time Together" (supposedly Mick sang something
like Let's Spend Some Mmm Together)