Fwd: Re: top-40 in 1957

A Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sat May 31 01:04:47 EDT 2014

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: top-40 in 1957
Date: 	Sat, 31 May 2014 00:48:03 -0400
From: 	A Joseph Ross <joe@attorneyross.com>
To: 	Donna Halper <dlh@donnahalper.com>

On 5/30/2014 4:04 AM, Donna Halper wrote:

> My point exactly.  I do think there was a national perception, based
> on years of the "Watch and Ward Society" and other censors banning
> movies and plays and books, that any controversial song must have been
> "banned in Boston." But I cannot find any documentation for the claim
> about the Everly Brothers song anywhere-- just the statement that it
> was banned, without any proof to support it.  And even in those
> conservative times during the 1950s, a hit was a hit-- some rather
> suggestive stuff did in fact get on the air.  And I truly do not
> believe that ALL the stations in Boston banned the song, although I am
> certain the Church huffed and puffed about it...

I think I remember something about a passage from Disney's "Snow White
and the Seven Dwarfs" being banned.  I don't remember noticing the
passage when I saw the movie sometime around 7th grade, but I remember
it from a Little Golden Record, which I still have.  Grumpy sings, "The
minute after I was born, I didn't have a nightie.  So I tied my whiskers
round my legs and used 'em for a dighty."

My recollection is that I took the whole thing literally, wondering how
a newborn could have whiskers.

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.| 92 State Street| Suite 700 | Boston, MA 02109-2004
617.367.0468|Fx:617.507.7856| http://www.attorneyross.com