WWBZ

A Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Thu May 29 16:35:15 EDT 2014

On 5/29/2014 2:09 AM, Glenn Spatola wrote:

> I am truly amazed that they were allowed to use the WWBZ call letters
> in an area where WBZ is well known, and where its signal easily
> reaches!  That's bound to confuse some listeners.

As I understand it, the FCC will give you whatever call letters you ask
for, so long as it's available.  They don't get into any other issues,
with the possible exception of obvious obscenity such as WF-K or some
such.  If one station's call letters are too close to another's and
might cause confusion, it's up to the aggrieved station to bring a
lawsuit for unfair competition, etc.  Last one I remember hearing of was
back in the 1990s, when WBCN (hard rock) sued WBCS (country).  I believe
the court dismissed the suit, saying that there was little risk that
anyone might confuse a country station with a hard rock station.

Which suggests that if someone were to put a classical music station on
the air and call it WCRV, and WCRB were to sue, the result might be
different.

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.| 92 State Street| Suite 700 | Boston, MA 02109-2004
617.367.0468|Fx:617.507.7856| http://www.attorneyross.com