WWBZ 700, WFNX 99.9 "vote for format"

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Wed May 28 23:48:13 EDT 2014

On 5/28/2014 11:35 PM, Jibguy@aol.com wrote:
> Perhaps the callsign WWBZ could be put on the FM, to act as an oversized
> translator for the Sports Hub, with CBS renting it from Steve. Perhaps a
> Worcester area Class A FM would be next.   Saga likes translators, so
> why not CBS?

To what end? CBS has no reason to be interested in the Worcester market.
The company is focused almost exclusively on the top 20 markets these
days (with a few heritage clusters such as Hartford and St. Louis
hanging on). It has long since divested itself of even Buffalo- and
Rochester-sized markets, never mind a market as small as Worcester. And
especially never mind a market as small as the tiny corner of the
Worcester market served by the Athol FM.

I suppose it's remotely possible to imagine that Silberberg might want
to *affiliate* with Sports Hub to provide programming, the same way some
New England broadcasters (Jeff Shapiro in NH, Qantum-turned-CC on the
Cape) affiliate with WEEI. But even so - since the Sports Hub doesn't
use any "WBZ" branding, why pick "WBZ" calls? The only reason Sports Hub
is "WBZ-FM," legally, is because (a) it had to be something, (b) Boston
is a PPM market so calls don't matter and (c) that way WBZ(AM) and
WBZ-FM appear in sequence in Arbitron/Nielsen Audio printouts. None of
those factors apply to Athol.

> Hard to imagine how the Athol FM or 700 could make any money on their
> own, especially with distant ownership.  Renting as a simulcast makes
> more sense.

For Silberberg, maybe. For CBS, not at all. And why would Silberberg pay
CBS for Sports Hub programming when he can simulcast his own WXRV for free?