It will soon be COX 25

Maureen Carney m_carney@yahoo.com
Tue Jun 24 21:41:41 EDT 2014

I see it as the opposite - there's now one more established channel NBC could shop the affiliation to if they want to be rid of WHDH. Not saying it will happen, but 25 is a more acceptable choice than trying to retrain the public to watch a station they currently don't think about (WTMU for example).

On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 9:35 PM, Scott Fybush <scott@fybush.com> wrote:

On 6/24/2014 9:07 PM, Kevin Vahey wrote:
> Ed Ansin now has a way to stick it to NBC.

How so? Cox already has a good relationship with Fox in markets such as
Jacksonville and Tulsa. I would assume the Cox-Fox swap includes a
commitment to keep WFXT and WHBQ as Fox affiliates, and it's probably
more lucrative for Cox to keep it that way, given that they get to do
more hours of local news and retain AFC football as a Fox affiliate.

All of which leaves NBC and Ansin to remain in bed with each other,
however uncomfortable it might be.

As for Garrett's question - the Cox MO these days is to combine radio
and TV clusters. There's already a lot of speculation that Cox could
have its eye on Entercom, which has radio clusters in both Boston and
Memphis. Of course, Entercom is in San Francisco, too...but perhaps
Cox's math was that two potential radio/TV clusters offer more potential
than just one.