War of the Worlds....in Boston, PS

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Sat Jun 21 22:28:51 EDT 2014

On 6/2/2014 2:53 PM, Don wrote:
>>> Just finnaly got around to wathcing the PBS American Experience
>>> program on Orson Welles War of the World broadcast.
>>>
>>> In 1938....who would have carried the CBS program in Boston? (Would
>>> it have been WEEI?)

I finally had a chance to check my files-- WORC in Worcester did carry
"War of the Worlds," and according to the local newspapers in Worcester
(the Telegram and the Gazette, which were two separate papers back
then), about a hundred people called the offices of WORC and/or the two
newspapers during the broadcast, to ask if it was for real, but most
seemed to know it was just a play.  There was one man who ran over to
WTAG (which was not carrying the program) to see if war had been
declared, but he seemed to be the exception.  Local police reported no
panic, and no people running through the streets.