WKLB Axes "Sunday Morning Country Oldies"

Laurence Glavin lglavin@mail.com
Tue Jun 17 19:07:04 EDT 2014

>Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 at 4:13 PM
>From: "Scott Fybush" <scott@fybush.com>
>To: boston-radio-interest@lists.BostonRadio.org
>Subject: Re: WKLB Axes "Sunday Morning Country Oldies"
>On 6/17/2014 3:49 PM, Rob Landry wrote:
> 101.7 is essentially an inside-Route-128 signal. Are there any country
> listeners in that part of the world?

>There sure are. The country of 2014 isn't the country WDLW or WBOS
>played. In many ways, it's become the new AC - songs that have hummable
>melodies and tell stories.

Whoa, whoa, stop right there!  "Melodies"?   Any time I'm exposed to a C&W recording, the most noticeable
thing about most of them is the limited intervalic span and reduced time values of the notes.  They may
be "hummable" but not easily distinguished  one from another.  Here's an example of what a MELODY SHOULD BE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtBPD95zBYE

It may seem unfair to cite a world-famous and beloved show-stopper of a vocal number but so many people
toss around the word "melody"  that I thought that maybe for about 9 minutes, it would be useful
to be exposed to the real thing.  BTW, Kristine is married to Andris Nelsons, the new conductor of the
Boston Symphony Orchestra.  I suspect she'll grace the stage of Symphony Hall many times in years to come.  I can't wait.
I may even listen to the music.