Looking for honest answers on this

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Mon Jun 9 12:05:20 EDT 2014

<<On Mon, 9 Jun 2014 03:39:43 -0400, Kevin Vahey <kvahey@gmail.com> said:

> Here we are in the year 2014.
> How many of US ( radio geeks) still listen with terrestrial
> receivers?

Well, I listen to terrestrial radio when I'm airchecking.  Plus WGBH
on Saturday evenings, and I'll occasionally put WBZ on if I'm home in
the middle of the afternoon and want some background noise.  At night,
it's usually BBC World Service on my Tivoli NetWorks device.  (I also
have presets for BBC domestic services Radio 4, Radio 4 Extra, and
6Music, plus mvyradio -- sadly only 5 presets on this device.)

In the car (when not airchecking) it's mostly podcasts[1] -- some
weeks my regular podcasts generate enough content for an enitre week's
worth of commuting time.  I try to listen to WXRV but more often than
not I manage to hit them right at :25 and :55 when they run five
minutes of commercials, so it's over to XM[2] for me.  (92.5 also
suffers from front-end overload east of the Allston tolls, so I pretty
much have to switch over when I get close to work.)  I pretty much
gave up on WBZ in the car because their traffic reports were never
accurate or timely enough to make a difference.

-GAWollman

[1] NPR/Radiolab, APM/Dinner Party Download, PRX/The Moth, PRI/Studio
360, Maximum Fun/The Memory Palace, BBC Radio 4/Friday Night Comedy,
BBC Radio 4/The Kitchen Cabinet, CBC Radio 1/Ideas, CBC Radio 1/Quirks
& Quarks

[2] 80s on 8, 90s on 90, First Wave, The Pulse, Pop2k, and on very
rare occasions the live BBC World Service and CBC Radio 1.