WHMP-AM 1400/WHMQ-AM 1240/WHNQ-1600/W245BK-FM 96.9

Dale H. Cook radiotest@plymouthcolony.net
Fri Jun 6 23:09:46 EDT 2014

At 05:23 PM 6/3/2014, Laurence Glavin wrote:

>... at one time AM 1600 in Springfield  (OK, East Longmeadow) ran 5K daysand had a CP for nighttime operation.  What changed its fate?

That is a question which is proving very hard to answer. From looking at the application list on the Commission's site I would think that the 301 "minor change" granted 14-Aug-1995 would be for the power reduction, but instead of an authorization I see "Authorization not yet created by MB." Grrr... I can flay that feline a different way - the public notice comment for that 301 has:

CP TO MAKE CHANGES IN ANTENNA SYS. REDUCE POWER 2.5 KW-DAY
CHG TL TO: 45 FISHER AVENUE, EAST LONGMEADOW, MA

That, then, is what happened. Why? I cannot say - the only apps on the site are for the two most recent renewals. All I can guess is that Saga had another station on the same or an adjacent frequency for which they wanted to increase power, move the transmitter site, or change frequency, and WHNP had to drop power and go to to daytime-only to make that happen. Can anyone think of a Saga facility that got an upgrade like that after 25-Mar-1996 (the date the 302 was granted for that 301)? If push comes to shove I know someone who works for Saga in Greenfield and has been there since well before 1995. I can always call her and see if she knows - she has been in radio for about 50 years, is very sharp, and very well might know the answer.

Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html