1510 talk format & programming AM & FM

Mike Ward mward@iname.com
Fri Jun 6 05:47:57 EDT 2014

Since Scott mentioned KFBK, and since I'm the only ex-KFBK staffer on the
BRI list :)

KFBK is a very unique situation.

It was languishing as an also-ran news/talk competitor in the Sacramento
market in the early 1980s. KFBK was a distant second to KGNR/1320, the
leading news/talk station with "Dave and Bob" in the morning.

'Round about 1984, the station fired one Morton Downey, Jr. as its midday
talk show host. Yes, that Morton Downey, Jr. He made a comment about an
Asian-American city councilman which many considered racist.

KFBK took a chance on a not-very-seasoned host to replace him. Rush
Limbaugh had been doing evening talk commentaries at a Kansas City radio
station, after a stint in the marketing department at the Kansas City
Royals. To the best of my memory, he MAY have had an evening show at (I
believe) KMBZ.

>From 1984 to 1988, Rush fueled KFBK into market dominance. He ended up
doing TV stints, and the market was covered with billboards with a picture
of an AM car radio, finger at a preset to 1530 AM, and the legend, "Don't
you just want to punch Rush?"

Rush's amazing performance at KFBK (well into double-digit shares by the
time you hit his fourth year) caught the attention of one Edward F.
McLaughlin, who was tipped to his Sacramento dominance by a consultant.

Rush actually had a clause in his KFBK contract that he could leave if he
got an offer from a top 10 market. Since the EFM Media syndication effort
was unproven, WABC/770 New York became his flagship station...and at the
time, Rush did a local show for WABC in addition to his national show. That
lasted about a year or two, and WABC ended up taking the whole national
show. And the rest..is history.

But though Rush certainly rocketed KFBK to the top of the ratings, his
story isn't the only component of AM 1530's success in Sacramento.

Remember "Dave and Bob" at KGNR?

KFBK hired them away. Eventually, when Bob Nathan left the show, Metro
Traffic's Amy Lewis turned it the morning all-news block into "Dave and
Amy", with an impressive 15 year run. Amy is still in morning drive at KFBK
to this day, co-anchoring with Ed Crane. Dave's at KLIF/570 in Dallas
(paired with another Amy, oddly enough).

Rush's local show at KFBK (and his first year nationally) was 9-11 AM
Pacific. That 11 AM-noon hour, now covered by his national show, was filled
locally in the late 1980s by a local stockbroker KFBK hired to do business
news updates. The show eventually moved to 1-4 PM PT, now 12-3 PM PT, as a
general topic show hosted by...Tom Sullivan, who still airs on KFBK today
with his now-national Fox News Radio show. He was a local host until a few
years ago and also dominant in the market.

Afternoon drive was covered by another local news block, with Gregg Fishman
and Kitty O'Neal - later Jeff Bell took over co-hosting with Kitty. Kitty
is still solo anchoring KFBK afternoon drive to this day. Jeff's on
KCBS/740 San Francisco in the same time slot, Fish is running for a seat on
the local utility's board.

Evenings were also local, with hosts like Christine Craft, Bob Dunning,
Spencer Hughes (later Fox News Radio and now KSFO/560 SF) and Mark Williams.

KFBK had a large news reporting staff. At one point in the 1990s, we had 6
full-time field reporters (and it turns into "we" because I was one of
them, from 1994 to 2001).

Yeah, that's a long history.

It is posted solely to point out that yes, though Rush Limbaugh certainly
fueled KFBK's success in his 4 years there and then nationally, KFBK built
an amazing station around Rush that has lasted to this day.