1510 talk format & programming AM & FM

M.Casey map@mapinternet.com
Thu Jun 5 12:48:10 EDT 2014

Really well thought out essay by Scott.
There's some truth to the "parasite" comment.

Political talk radio, while successful when placed on a successful Heritage
station, as a format by itself, is mostly a failed venture. So, I doubt any
fully talk formatted station whether it be liberal or conservative, will
ever be really successful. Maybe 5% of the population is really interested
in politics, or listening to political debate on a regular basis. Some of
the 95% will listen to political comments for very short periods of time,
then back to music or sports, or for short periods of time, to news.

Most of the Heritage stations have their own very successful morning and
evening drive talent. Talk does OK in the mid-day period, when most folks
are at work.   So, the heritage stations have a talented talker like Rush or
Hannity to pull in some listeners during those non-drive times when most
folks are listening to music on the radio, or not listening to radio at all.
I'd say there's a case to be made that some of the more Extreme talkers,
like Savage, might even hurt a Heritage station in general-even when they
only run them in the evening or on the weekend.  I'm surprised that more
stations don't pick up a program like Clark Howard to run when they don't
have a talented local during the day before or after Rush, or to run in the
evening instead of a Savage or Beck type. But, there doesn't seem to be many
(or any) well done syndicated programs that are not political, like Clark
Howard's, or even just less politically acidic, available. So, maybe that's
why some stations get stuck with the extreme talkers. WTIC-AM runs Howard
8-10pm when sports aren't on.  And they have a talented local
conservative-liberatarian, Jim Vicevich, on from 9am to noon. I'd like to
see if Jim's number of listeners aren't , maybe, even better than Rush's on
WTIC.  But, I'll bet that either of those mid-day slots pale, in numbers of
listeners to the morning and evening drive periods.

WHYN, WHAM or WOWO would probably succeed as much or better with shows like
Clark Howard, the local talk guy,  Swap Shop, and the Mayor's show, from
10am to 4pm, than with Rush/Hannity/Beck, etc. And they'd probably do just
as well with 2 talented liberal talkers as with 2 talented conservative
talkers. Thom Hartman, though not too well known,  comes to mind as a
talented liberal talker comparing with Rush & Hannity.

I've always been surprised that radio station programmers pay little
attention to weekends. TV has started to learn that folks want their wake-up
show on Sat & Sun. also. But radio has gotten much worse--many more pay for
play ad shows on than in the past.  Until a few years ago WHYN-AM had a live
(or even taped) morning show host on Sat & Sun mornings, but they dropped
that, so I stopped listening to WHYN-AM at all and switched to the morning
host & music that's on 7 days a week on several of the FM stations.  WTIC-AM
has a live Sat morning show which is great, but Sun morning is Ric Edelman
that, while not too bad for a commercial program, causes listeners like me
to change the channel after a few minutes.

What will radio be like 20 yrs. from now?  I think many of the music
stations will still be around. And, most of the Heritage stations, large and
small, that maintain a degree local programming and news will be around. The
rest will be similcasts, or specialty ethnic, religious, or formats that
barely sell enough to stay on the air, selling spots that almost no one will
hear. The value of radio stations in general will decrease. We may have
another round of AM stations going off the air altogether and the $23,000 a
month tower site rental comment comes to mind as a real reason for that.
But, radio will continue for many years. I can't imagine that the (sort of
frail) cell-phone system, tablets and memory cards will completely replace
broadcast radio.

Mark Casey
K1MAP