censored song lyrics (was top 40 in 1957)

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Mon Jun 2 00:02:43 EDT 2014

On 6/1/2014 7:23 PM, Ed Hennessy wrote:
>   I can recall in the mid-1980s when WELI New Haven (AC by format then, but closer to Full Service really) played a version of Laura Branigan's "Self Control" which had the electronic guitar riff in the intro edited out.

When I worked at WHDH in 1979-1980, it was also AC but really
full-service; we did the same type of editing with a number of songs
where the song itself was fine (lyrics-wise) but there was a harsh
guitar riff, that they felt was unsuitable for the format, so they
edited just the riff and left the rest of the song alone.