Radio Names

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Thu Aug 21 10:49:03 EDT 2014

On 8/21/2014 9:53 AM, Paul B. Walker, Jr. wrote:
> People seem to assume radio folks use fake names.. but I tell them, "Yes,
> Paul Walker is my real name.  If I was going to use a fake name, I'd pick
> something better then Paul Walker.

I think there's been a shift on the use of "real names" versus radio
names.  These days, I notice a number of announcers using their real
name, although some might still pick a "radio name"-- especially if
their actual name is long or difficult for the average person to
pronounce.  But that was not the case during much of radio's history.
Way back in the mid-1920s, the late great John Shepard 3rd of WNAC
(today WRKO) came up with the concept of "house names"-- the announcer
may have left, but the name lived on for the next announcer to use. So,
his first women's show was done by "Jean Sargent," and when the original
hostess of that show left, the next woman to host the show was also
"Jean Sargent."  During the album-rock era, many female announcers
(myself included) were told to just use our first name, and we were also
told to sound "sexy."  But back to the changing of names: during the
top-40 era, house names were everywhere-- there were a plethora of
overnight disc jockeys with the house name "Johnny Dark" and I can
recall several stations that had a Dan Donovan.  Amusingly, even when
the real name could have been perfect, some station PDs or consultants
insisted you had to change it:  Frank Kingston Smith had a wonderful
radio name (and that's his real name), yet he was told to become "Bobby
Mitchell" when he was a top-40 jock for WRKO.   It was also a custom for
announcers to have names that did not sound ethnic, a concept also used
in the movies for many years-- Jack Benny (Benjamin Kubelsky) and Eddie
Cantor (Edward Itskowitz) were among the many who chose names that hid
the fact they were Jewish.  It was a time when anti-Semitism was still
part of the popular culture, so Jewish radio announcers were just about
always told to change to something that sounded vaguely anglo-saxon--
hence "Bob Clayton."  The one exception I can recall was my cultural
hero Arnie Ginsburg.