Helicopter Traffic Reports

Dan Murphy danmurph@rcn.com
Mon Sep 2 21:01:28 EDT 2013

I recently heard a traffic report broadcast from a helicopter, which is
relatively rare these days with traffic cameras everywhere. Right now I can
recall only three names from earlier traffic helicopter days: Joe Green and
Joe Morgan on WBZ (Green had a terrible mic/comm setup; NEVER understood a
single word he said), and Chris Culkeen on WFNX, WZLX, and 98.5 in the
WROR/WBMX years. When were helicopters first used by Boston news media to
report traffic or other breaking stories, and who were some of the other
pilots?