WJIB's night signal

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Tue Sep 3 07:01:21 EDT 2013

Actually, I wrote that it sounded as if the carrier MIGHT HAVE been on but I
couldn't really tell. Anyhow, as of last night (sorry, I don't know the
time), WJIB appears to be back at what sounds like its normal day and night
power. I have heard nothing about the outage from Bob Bittner or any other
in-the-know person, so the following is 100% conjecture on my part: My guess
at the cause of the outage was a hard-drive failure. Bob has two 250W
transmitters at WJIB. Each of them is capable of more than 250W and one of
them can also be operated at WJIB's very low night power. So WJIB being
taken down by a transmitter failure, though not impossible, is unlikely. He
also has multiple hard drives at both WJIB and WJTO. However, he never
mentioned whether the drives have the ability to switch automatically among
each other if audio disappears for more than a few seconds. So a hard disk
failure might require manual intervention. We need the official word on this
from Bob himself.

Oh, BTW, yesterday afternoon while WJIB was off, I (barely) picked up WJTO
on 730 on my CC Radio Plus at my home in Arlington Heights. Not what I would
call a strong signal, but I could tell what music was playing (no, sorry, I
don't remember the titles of the selections), but I guess you could call it
DX quality.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367