Cumulus Buys Dial Global

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Sun Sep 1 02:45:48 EDT 2013

it was asked--
> Where did that name "Jones Radio Network" come from?  When I heard the
> liberal talkers, I thought the name might be related to Mother Jones
> magazine, but that doesn't sound entirely plausible somehow.

Nothing to do with Mother Jones, and everything to do with the original
owner, a guy named Glenn Jones.  I believe he used to work for
Drake-Chenault and then started his own syndication service. Although
most of Jones ' staff were (by their own admission) Texas Republicans,
and nearly every show they syndicated reflected that viewpoint.  But,
they were also radio fans and not afraid to try something new, if they
thought it could make some money. When a niche for a liberal/progressive
talk show opened up circa 2004, they gave it a chance. That led to
hiring and syndicating Ed Schultz and Stephanie Miller, two very
successful leftie talkers.