WHMP Northampton

Mike Ward mward@iname.com
Thu Oct 3 19:48:33 EDT 2013

Translators can ID either aurally three times a day, or in code hourly.
They don't have to say "W245AK Northampton" hourly. (Though I loved it when
W282AM Leesburg VA, now W282BA, was IDed hourly by the "WTOP Radio
Network".)

Here's the requisite FCC text, courtesy of Google's cache since the FCC
website is in shutdown mode:

*Identification of translator and booster stations.*  Translator stations
must be identified by the licensee by the following means:

   - ... by arranging with the primary station whose signal is being
   rebroadcast to identify the translator by call sign and location.  The
   identification must occur 3 times daily:  once between 7 AM and 9 AM, once
   between 12:55 PM and 1:05 PM, and once between 4 PM and 6 PM.
   Stations that do not begin operating before 9 AM must provide the
   identification at the beginning of the broadcast day.  The licensee of the
   translator station must arrange for the primary station to keep in the
   primary FM station's file (and to make available to FCC personnel), the
   call sign and location of the translator station.  This record must include
   the name, address, and telephone number of the translator licensee or his
   service representative to be contacted in the case of a malfunction of the
   translator.  *See* 47 CFR Section
74.1283(c)(1)<http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2010/octqtr/pdf/47cfr74.1283.pdf>
   .
   - ... by transmitting the call sign in Morse Code at least once hour.  *
   See* 47 CFR Section
74.1283(c)(2)<http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2010/octqtr/pdf/47cfr74.1283.pdf>for
additional requirements for transmission of the call sign in this
   manner.