From RadioDiscussions.com: Overnight host Jen Brien gets the axe at WBZ (AM)

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Thu Oct 3 11:06:13 EDT 2013

I tuned in to WBZ this morning (Thursday 10/3/2013) and caught a few seconds
of Morgan White Jr wrapping up the midnight-to-5:00AM segment. That made it
three nights in a row when Ms Brien, supposedly the regular host in that
time period, was MIA. Just now, I found out at R-D.com that, right after he
signed on at 12:06AM this morning, Morgan read a statement from WBZ
management stating that Ms Brien had left the station.

Imagine: WBZ spent a year auditioning on air more hosts than I can name for
the overnight segement, and then, after only a few months, parts ways with
the selected "permanent" host. Certainly unusual; maybe unprecedented at a
major station in a major market. I was not a great fan of Ms Brien's (didn't
think she could hold her own in substnative discussions) but I hope this
does not mean that WBZ is throwing in the towel on live and local
programming in the early morning hours.

Or could this simply be a reaction to the time (or times) when Ms Brien
failed without warning to show up for a scheduled shift, forcing Bradley
Jay, whose show aired just before Ms Brien's, to do seven-hour-long non-stop
air shifts.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367