RIP Gene Burns

Gary's Ice Cream gary@garysicecream.com
Sat May 25 21:55:59 EDT 2013

Gene had been sick for the past few years......when KGO had the big layoff
he was supposed to go across town but never made it on the air there due to
a stroke.  He would bounce back and then slip again.......Gene was one of my
closest friends even after he left Boston.  While he was at WRKO we would go
out on Dining Adventures two or three times a week....I sold his "Gene Burns
Chocolates" at my Chelmsford ice cream shop (where he would make a personal
appearance many Saturdays to stand behind the counter and sell the
chocolates himself).  And for 5 years I was the regular fill in on "Dining
Around" on WRKO (Gene would do about 32 shows a year and I would do the rest
- although I'd usually be there even when he was hosting).  Through the show
I got to have lunch with Dom Deluise across from the Fenway Plaza studios
where Dom actually ended up cooking behind the counter at Il Panino.  I had
lunch in Julia Child's home kitchen in Cambridge, and Gene and I spent many
a day laughing with the late Nick Contos at Nick's "No Name Restaurant" on
the fish pier.  We made many trips up to Maine to enjoy the hospitality of
Mark and Clark at Arrows Restaurant.  Gene opened me up to a whole world of
food, wine and travel that I never would have discovered on my own.  Rest in
peace my friend....you deserve it.   May you "transit the meridian": and
enter the next incarnation.   -Gary Francis (Frascarelli)

                    Gary's Ice Cream, Chelmsford, MA
www.garysicecream.com           www.icecreamcollege.com