Tom Wheeler to head FCC?

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Wed May 1 03:48:50 EDT 2013

On 5/1/2013 1:56 AM, Garrett Wollman wrote:
>> The Wall Street Journal reports:
>> "President Barack Obama is expected to soon nominate a former top
>> lobbyist for the cable and wireless industries to lead the Federal
>> Communications Commission, two people familiar with the matter said.

And as with choosing ambassadors, presidents throughout the modern age
have chosen FCC commissioners based on their loyalty in the political
sphere as much as on their knowledge of telecommunications.  Some
previous FCC commissioners and chairs had minimal broadcasting
expertise-- they came from big business, where they were huge
fundraisers for the president, or they were devoted to getting him
elected.  A couple of former chairs did in fact have broadcasting
experience, but as I said, not everyone was selected for that reason--
some were a thank-you to a supporter (think Michael Powell, chosen, by
most accounts, because he was Colin Powell's son).  Not sure why
President Obama is choosing this guy-- maybe he'll turn out to be better
than we expected.