Haitian Pirate Raided

Laurence Glavin lglavin@mail.com
Thu Mar 14 17:59:58 EDT 2013

>----- Original Message -----
 >From: Garrett Wollman
 >Sent: 03/13/13 10:11 PM
>To: Bob DeMattia
>Subject: Re: Haitian Pirate Raided

<<On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 12:26:37 -0400, Bob DeMattia <bob.bosra@demattia.net> said: > And licensed stations have engineers that periodically monitor the > performance and output > of their transmitters. >Or they should, at any rate. There are plenty of stories about >low-budget stations that don't keep an engineer on staff and only call >in their consulting engineer when they get notice of something broken. >-GAWollman
A couple of years ago, I commented from time to time that the former WPAA FM 91.7 on the campus
of Phillips Academy in Andover, MA was transmitting an unmodulated carrier day after day, month
after month, presumably even when the school itself was shut down for holidays and vacations. I
suspect (ok, but can't prove) that the facility may have operated without any oversight by
the faculty or an engineer. Then one day, the signal disappeared. I drove over to the quadrangle that
was the location of the station's transmitter and antenna, and instead there was a hole in the ground where the
building housing same had previously been found. It was only then that WPAA FM turned in its license and
had its calls deleted (they're now used on a campus internet station). I wonder if it ever affected the tower
at Lawrence's municipal airport.