FDR Fireside Chat Reference In Scott's Tower Calendar

Sid Schweiger sids1045@aol.com
Sun Mar 17 07:56:50 EDT 2013

"What scares me is that Nixon 40 years later looks pretty good compared with current cast of characters."

40+ years ago I had a summer job during my college years:  "studio/field engineer" (classy way of saying "board op") at what was then the ABC Radio Network (God only knows what it's called now) in New York.  During the summers of 1973 (the Senator Sam kangaroo court) and 1974 (the House Judiciary Committee hearings and Nixon's resignation) we were intensively covering Watergate.  I watched a bunch of hard-line conservatives in the newsroom, convinced that Nixon was the law-and-order president he claimed to be, come around to the conclusion that he had to go for the good of the country.  It was because of Nixon's attitude ("When the president does it, it is not wrong...") that historians coined the phrase "the imperial presidency."

And today our president goes down the exact same road with an exactly opposite reaction...one gigantic yawn.