Station IDs (Was Re: WBUR's L-O-N-G Station ID)

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Sat Mar 2 23:21:21 EST 2013

<<On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 14:05:37 -0500, "Laurence Glavin" <lglavin@mail.com> said:

[my original text deleted, as Laurence's mail client seems to have
trouble not mangling the format]

> It seems to me that Albany-Schenectady would not exactly be a
> hyphenated community. Dover-Foxcroft in Maine and Winston-Salem in
> North Carolina WOULD BE.

No.  Dover-Foxcroft and Winston-Salem are communities of license that
happen to have hyphens in them, but they are not hyphenated
communities in the manner of the Table of Allocations for analog
television, which had "Albany-Schenectady" and might have had "New
Bedford-Providence" if the then-owners of WLNE had gotten their way.
I'm not sure what criteria the FCC used for allowing such allotments
or not, but they were, as I noted upthread, treated as an either-or
for license applications.  (WLNE's proposal was to reallot channels 6,
10, and 12 to "New Bedford-Providence" or "Providence-New Bedford",
which would have then allowed it to apply for a CP to "move" to
Providence.)

-GAWollman