Jim Britt

Karen McTrotsky karenmctrotsky@gmail.com
Sat Jun 29 14:43:59 EDT 2013

Whatever you do, don't let someone from the Red Sox organization or the
current rights holders accept it on his behalf, they are the antithesis of
everything Jim Britt was.

The SABR posting that Thor provided seems pretty accurate, all I would add
is that Britt anchored the 6 O'Clock Report at WHDH ch. 5 and also hosted a
public affairs program, Dateline: Boston four days a week (one day was
devoted to Cap'n Bob teaching us how to draw.) and he hosted Candlepin
Bowling

The only surviving  talent from WHDH I can think of who were at the station
near the time of Britt's last job there are Jack Hynes and Frank Avruch
although there may be a booth announcer or an executive around.

Interesting that there are only three living former Red Sox radio play by
play announcers, Jon Miller,  Dave Martin and Jerry Trupiano; and one color
man, Rico Petrocelli and no, I'm not counting the assortment of WEEI
fill-ins or the crew that sat in when AFTRA struck 'HDH.

Even Britt's sponsor, Ballentine Beer, is long gone, and not well
remembered for its days as the owners of the Celtics.