WMVX (ex-WNSH) granted 50 kW-D

Linc Reed-Nickerson linc45r-n@lincster.com
Tue Jan 8 20:03:01 EST 2013

There are no surprises here, a straight forward application, supporting
measurements, and no objections.  Since there is an existing tower none
of the environmental coordination was required that can be expensive and
slow an application down. I had a similar application for KWDP in
Waldport, OR, granted in about the same amount of time.

For my frequency change and power increase CP for KBNH I had to add a
second tower, locally there were no issues, but Oregon State Historic
Preservation made a stink because the nearest historic landmark was 22+
mile away.  They wanted me to conduct a survey to see if some
building(s) closer in should be on the historic register!  It took a
year, but I prevailed and have MY CP.  Tower 2 is on the ground waiting
to go up as soon as we can pour concrete.

What makes this of interest to me is 1, I used to live in Newburyport
(1964 to 1973) and I am very familiar with "WMLO" way back when, and I
bought the phasor, ATU's and base insulators from the contractor that
took the 3 tower array down when they bought Brockton and could go
non-D.  So it will live on in Burns, OR!  It looks like the day it was
delivered from Kintronic Labs, someone took very good care of it.

All this being said, WMVX's biggest issue is not the ground system but
the tower height, short towers just don't cut it.  My next application
for Burns will be to take the day back to non-D at 25kW with a 190
degree tower. (I kept the night pattern for day because it favors the
highways in and out of Burns).

I'll have the environmental issue again, plus the county government who
has vowed there will never be a lighted tower in Harney County... but
thanks to American Tower there is now one, and laughingly it is shorter
than other towers also on Burns Butte that have no lighting
requirement.  I'm still trying to figure out the FAA determination on
that one!

Linc