my interview with Donna Halper today

A Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Tue Jan 8 00:36:16 EST 2013

On 1/7/2013 9:41 PM, Jibguy@aol.com wrote:

> Same here.... When I went to Rochester Institute of Technology (N.Y.)
> (1967-71), the college station, WITR had at least two females on the air with
> regular airshifts, and none of us ever gave it a second thought, nor  did
> anyone ever say "that's odd."    This, too was a college  where the ratio of
> men to women was 6:1 .
>
> Looking back, are we to assume that other places may be more enlightened
> than Boston and Cambridge?

The ratios in the student body undoubtedly had an effect.  At UMass in
the early 1960s, we had a lot more "co-eds" than at other places.  MIT
allowed women but apparently actively discouraged them at the time.  I
remember hearing something on TV at some point about MIT being somewhat
reluctant to admit a woman because she was taking the place of a man,
and obviously a man was going to use his education to support a family
and contribute to his profession, while a woman was just going to get
married and raise children.  It seems so strange now, but that was the
assumption back then in a lot of places.

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.|92 State Street|Suite 700|Boston, MA 02109-2004
617.367.0468|Fx:617.507.7856|http://www.attorneyross.com