my interview with Donna Halper today

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Mon Jan 7 17:17:00 EST 2013

On 1/7/2013 1:11 PM, Don wrote:
>> As far as I know, there was certainly no policy against women joining
>> the station.
>
> Or, could it simply be (most of) the women weren't interested?

Au contraire, mon frere.  Many of us were interested, but we were told
we could not be on the air.  At Emerson (I did their history for their
alumni magazine), until about 1967, it was even a written policy that
women could only do fashion or cooking or children's programs, or as the
manual so quaintly stated, "programs suitable to their interests."  And
all Program Directors were to only be male.  Northeastern had similar
policies, although not necessarily spelled out in writing.  It was a
tradition that men with big deep voices were on the air, and "girls"
were music librarians or ran errands for the program director.  I
challenged that, and I found out later that I was not the first to try.
I was just, for whatever reason, the first that succeeded...